President Bill Burrus Surprise Announcement on Sept. 30, 2009 at APWU All Crafts Conference held in Las Vegas, NV he will Retire as President Nov 2010

APWU President Bill Burrus Announces in Las Vegas, Nv. he Will Retire at the End of His Term in November, 2010
*

In an emotional closing to his speech at the union’s All-Craft Conference Sept. 30, APWU President William Burrus announced that he would not seek re-election in November 2010, ending a 53-year career in which he fought for better wages, benefits and dignity and respect on the job for hundreds of thousands of postal workers.
*
“I am in good health and I love what I do,” he said. “But I want to move on to another part of my life.
*
“I want to spend more time with my wonderful wife, Ethelda,” he said, introducing her to the assembly. “She has been by my side throughout my 37 years as an executive officer of this union.”
*
“I have looked forward to every day that I have served our members, and I look forward to the next 13 months. This is not the end, but effective November 2010 it will be time for me to turn the page and move on to the rest of my life.
*
“In the interim, I intend to continue my commitment to the membership, every hour, every day,” he added, drawing two standing ovations from a room packed with more than 2,000 conference participants.
*
The end of Burrus’ term will coincide with the conclusion of negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement; the current contract expires Nov. 20.
*
CREDIT: APWU website, www.apwu.org news article.
*
Jack Gose, Editor

No comments:

RETIREE WEBSITE ARCHIVE

Powered By Blogger